a 501(c)3 Ocean Outreach Project
Expeditions | Discoveries
The discovered her on October 10, 2010 and launched repeat expedition in 2012 and 2014 to photograph and map the entire ship. THE USS R-12 was lost June 12th 1943. The production of “Expedition R-12- Discovering Americas Forgotten Submarine” chronicles the subs history and the expedition.
Expedition S-26 successfully discovered the of a lost US WWII Submarine USS S-26. It is the is the 7th one discovered of the wars 52 missing US Submarines. The USS S-26 was lost a little over a month into the WWII on January 24th 1942 and rests in deep water in the Pacific Ocean off of Panama.
Eight U.S. Navy Submarines Discovered
- USS S-28 (SS-133) -September 2017 Offshore Honolulu, Hawaii]
- USS S-26 (SS-131) - September 2014 - Pacific Panama
- USS R-12 (SS-89) - October 2010 discovered off Key West, Florida
- USS Grunion (SS-216) - August 2006 discovery off Kiska
- USS Lagarto (SS-371) - May 2006 discovery in the Gulf of Thailand
- USS Wahoo (SS-238) - July 2006 discovery in the La Peruse Strait
- USS Perch (SS-176) - November 2006 discovery in the Java Sea
- USS Flier (SS-250) - May 2009 discovery near Palawan Island
Expedition S-28 has successfully discovered the lost WWII submarine USS S-28. Considered the most important lost ship in the central Pacific, the USS S-28 sank on July 4th 1944 and was discovered, explored and surveyed in 2650 meters (8700 feet) of water off the cost of Oahu, Hawaii. She holds an entombed crew of 49 US sailors.
Expedition 2018 focused work off the East coast of Japan and in the Aleutian Islands, Alaska. The team was able to successfully revisit the USS Grunion and discovered her lost bow section.
Expedition 2019 is planned for coastal Japan and will focus on four submarines and one Fletcher Class Destroyer.